Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Grand Cayman and Roatan

I'm sorry that I can't update with pictures, but the ship's Internet isn't fast enough for us to do so. We were in Grand Cayman yesterday. The island itself was very much like Miami or Ft. Lauderdale. American chains were all over and it was a very “rich” looking location. Cartier stores abound. Items were considerably cheaper when bought in the Caymans. We really didn't buy much other than Big Black Dick rum. Yes....we had to have it. The beach, however, was unlike anything I have EVER seen before. It was literally like a huge swimming pool. I was in water up to my neck and could still see my feet, crystal clear. The water was warm but not too warm. It was an amazing beach.
I finally relented last night and put on the sea sickness patch. I had be trying to avoid it because it does have some pretty nasty side effects. Beggars can't be chooser. Either constant nausea or dry mouth and drowsiness. The patch it is. I think it's working but I am not sure because we have been asleep or docked for most of the time I have been wearing it. I am keeping my fingers crossed.
We had a storm this morning! I actually woke up because lightning lit up the side of the room so brightly. Storms on the ocean are both beautiful and scary. It seems like you can see lightning so much further away when you are in the middle of the ocean.
Roatan is one of the most beautiful places I have EVER seen in my entire life. It is a very poor country, but it's beauty is unparalleled. Our tour guide, Lionel, met us up at the pier. It was just Dan and I on the tour. We starting driving all around the island. We visited 2 shipwrecks, we got a few souvenirs from local merchants including 2 HUGE conch shells. We stopped at 2 of the beaches and walked around. Dan and I got to hold MONKEYS! The pictures are adorable. I will post them as soon as I can. We ate lunch at Half Moon Cay and it was very very good. We also stopped at an orphanage on the island and were very impressed with the way the children were treated. They were all very happy and loved having visitors.
While the island is very poor for the most part, the people that live on it are very happy. They were very friendly and loved having the visitors. Tomorrow, we go to Belize and I hear people are not so nice.

No comments: